And Again by Jessica Chiarella | ARC Review

3:17 PM

Pages: 303, Paperback
Publication date: January 12th, 2016
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Canada
How I got the copy: Sent from the publisher
Rating:  5 out of 5
Series: N/A

Summary:
In the spirit of Station Eleven and The Age of Miracles, this exciting literary debut novel imagines the consequences when four ordinary individuals are granted a chance to continue their lives in genetically perfect versions of their former bodies.

Would you live your life differently if you were given a second chance? Hannah, David, Connie, and Linda—four terminally ill patients—have been selected for the SUBlife pilot program, which will grant them brand-new, genetically perfect bodies that are exact copies of their former selves—without a single imperfection. Blemishes, scars, freckles, and wrinkles have all disappeared, their fingerprints are different, their vision is impeccable, and most importantly, their illnesses have been cured.

But the fresh start they’ve been given is anything but perfect. Without their old bodies, their new physical identities have been lost. Hannah, an artistic prodigy, has to relearn how to hold a brush; David, a Congressman, grapples with his old habits; Connie, an actress whose stunning looks are restored after a protracted illness, tries to navigate an industry obsessed with physical beauty; and Linda, who spent eight years paralyzed after a car accident, now struggles to reconnect with a family that seems to have built a new life without her. As each tries to re-enter their previous lives and relationships they are faced with the question: how much of your identity rests not just in your mind, but in your heart, your body?


Review:
This is a great book and I'm very impressed.

This is Jessica's debut novel and I very much enjoyed this fiction novel with a dash of sci-fi. I say a dash of sci-fi because And Again sticks with daily life events that occur today but executes the concept of cloning within it. I really enjoyed this book because of that, I'm not big on fantasy novels and the descriptions of how the future will look like, making this novel great for me. I enjoyed following these four characters after receiving their SUBlife and following their struggles, acceptances and changes about their "new" lives. 


And Again is all character development, the entire novel is getting to know these four characters and becoming them, getting to know their secrets and the changes they go through after waking from their surgery. I've come to notice I really enjoy novels that are heavy in character development in contrast to heavy world building. In this case, And Again doesn't need much world description since it's set in Chicago that you can find day, every part of this book is dedicated to the characters and the events they go through.


The characters are well-written and I was able to connect with four of them. I enjoyed reading the ways the characters unraveled and developed throughout the book and how they interacted between each other the entire time.


I'm like how this novel wrapped up, it tied up all lose ends and answered all the questioned I had. Mostly, I really enjoyed And Again for how it made me feel while reading it and the fact that I didn't want to put the book down! It was very refreshing.


I highly enjoyed this and gave it a 5 stars! I recommend this to people who enjoy a character heavy novel. I'm very happy I had the opportunity to read this before pub date. 

Rating:

Thanks for reading, 
Alexa Talks Books


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Reading Challenge

2017 Reading Challenge

Alexa has read 5 books toward her goal of 75 books.
hide

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Alexa has read 2 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Badges

Professional Reader10 Book Reviews