BLOG TOUR: Finding Hope - Colleen Nelson | ARC Review

10:36 AM


Pages: 200 pages, Paperback
Publication date: March 19, 2016 (Canada), April 12, 2016 (America)
Publisher: Dundurn Press
How I got the copy: Received ARC copy from publisher
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Series: N/A

Summary:
Hope leaves her small town for a fresh start, but her plans are derailed by an online romance and the appearance of her brother.

Hope lives in a small town with nothing to do and nowhere to go. With a drug addict for a brother, she focuses on the only thing that keeps her sane, writing poetry. To escape, she jumps at the chance to attend Ravenhurst Academy as a boarding student. She’ll even put up with the clique-ish Ravens if it means making a fresh start.

At first, Ravenhurst is better than Hope could have dreamed. She has a boyfriend and a cool roommate, and she might finally have found a place she can fit in. But can she trust her online boyfriend? And what can she do after her brother shows up at the school gates, desperate for help, and the Ravens turn on her? Trapped and unsure, Hope realizes that if she wants to save her brother, she has to save herself first.




Review:
I enjoyed reading Finding Hope. This is the first book I've read by this author and it won't be my last. It's a fairly short book and during a busy week I was able to finish it in three days. Mostly because I didn't want to put the book down and think the short chapters helped get though the story quicker. Finding Hope is a realistic YA novel that covers many issues that include substance abuse, addiction, family issues, sexual abuse, bullying and cyber-bullying.

As much as I enjoyed Finding Hope I felt bits quite predictable but I was able to understand why certain situations happened. Hope is from a small town and has no friends, she's impressionable and is desperate to be accepted and make friends. Kind of like desperate times call for desperate measures.

Finding Hope is written in dual perspective of Hope and her brother, Eric. However, even though it's written in dual perspective I feel the reader gets a better understanding of Hope.


Throughout the entire novel poems are included. Hope writes poetry to express herself and I think it helps readers connect to Hope. 

When I finished the Finding Hope I wanted to know more. I'm aware that about 40,000 words were edited out and I'm curious about the eliminated bits of the story. I think including more information about the characters and their situations would have connected readers to the characters on a more personal level. 

I recommend Finding Hope to readers that enjoy realistic YA fiction that covers serious issues. I gave this 4/5 stars. I enjoyed Finding Hope, I was sucked into the story but I was left wanting more information throughout the story but satisfied with the ending.

Rating:

Reading Process:





On Saturday, March 19th (also the publication date in Canada) Colleen will be hosting a virtual launch on her website, colleennelsonauthor.com, and if you buy a copy on March 19th and visit Colleen's website you'll be able to redeem a bonus gift!



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Reading Challenge

2017 Reading Challenge

Alexa has read 5 books toward her goal of 75 books.
hide

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Alexa has read 2 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Badges

Professional Reader10 Book Reviews