The Couple Next Door - Shari Lapena | Book Review

9:50 AM

Pages: 320, Paperback
Publication date: August 23, 2016
Publisher: Doubleday Canada
How I got the copy: Publisher (Penguin Random House Canada)
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Summary:
It all started at a dinner party. . . 

A domestic suspense debut about a young couple and their apparently friendly neighbors—a twisty, rollercoaster ride of lies, betrayal, and the secrets between husbands and wives. . . 

Anne and Marco Conti seem to have it all—a loving relationship, a wonderful home, and their beautiful baby, Cora. But one night when they are at a dinner party next door, a terrible crime is committed. Suspicion immediately focuses on the parents. But the truth is a much more complicated story.

Inside the curtained house, an unsettling account of what actually happened unfolds. Detective Rasbach knows that the panicked couple is hiding something. Both Anne and Marco soon discover that the other is keeping secrets, secrets they've kept for years. 

What follows is the nerve-racking unraveling of a family—a chilling tale of deception, duplicity, and unfaithfulness that will keep you breathless until the final shocking twist.




Review:


I was very skeptical at the beginning of this book. The first couple of chapters were very
 similar (and I mean very similar, to the point the couple check on the baby every half an hour) to another book I read earlier this year, titled She's Not There by Joy Fielding, but once the story picked up after the kidnapping the story went in different directions and I really enjoyed it. I even contemplated if I Would continue reading the book depending if such similarities continued. 

The Couple Next Door throws so many different situations and keeps readers guessing until the author wants the reader to know who the kidnapper is. It's a very exciting book but with a very long introduction of "the baby is missing why are the police not looking for her and questioning us" typical mystery/crime ordeal but I ended up really loving this book. I loved all the twists and turns of this book, every time I thought I knew who was responsible for the kidnapping, something else would happen and I'd have to rethink who else could be the kidnapper! 

What surprises me the most from books and movies/TV shows is that it always seems that the characters have never read or seen a mystery/crime book or movie before. A specific scene that made me want to face-palm hard is when Anne, the main character, receives a package in the mail which turns out to be evidence and instead of not touching what's inside of the box Anne touches it in every single way possible without a thought of giving the package to the police for DNA. 


However, I ended up really enjoying The Couple Next Door and at this point will read whatever fiction Shari Lapena publishes next. This mystery/thriller has so many twists and turns, it keeps readers guessing until the end. I couldn't put this book down and definitely recommend this to readers who enjoy mystery and thriller books. I think this would be a great book to pick up for people wanting to venture into the genre too. Basically, I enjoyed this book so much that I recommend it to everyone!


I also had a great time buddy reading this book with my best friend. We'd text each other throughout the day discussing the book and virtually pulled our hair until the other caught up to talked about what was happening.




Rating:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Reading Challenges

2017 Reading Challenge

Alexa has read 5 books toward her goal of 75 books.
hide

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Alexa has read 2 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Badges

Professional Reader10 Book Reviews