Confessions of a High School Disaster - Emma Chastain | ARC Review

7:32 AM

Pages: 352
Format: ARC Paperback
Publication Date: March 7, 2017
Publisher: Simon Pulse
How I got the copy: Raincoast Books
Rating: 4/5

Summary:
In the tradition of Bridget Jones’s Diary, a lovably flawed high school student chronicles her life as she navigates the highs and lows of family, friendship, school, and love in a diary that sparkles with humor and warmth.

I’m Chloe Winter, and my life is kiiiiind of a disaster.

On the plus side, I got the lead in the musical!

On the down side…

1. I’m a kissing virgin (so so so embarrassing).
2. My best friend, Hannah, is driving me insane.
3. I think I’m in love with Mac Brody, the most popular senior guy, whose girlfriend is so beautiful she doesn’t even need eyeliner.
4. My dad won’t stop asking me if I’m okay.
5. Oh, and my mom moved to Mexico to work on her novel. But it’s fine—she’ll be back soon. She said so.

Mom tells me everything is copy. So I’m writing down all the horrible things that happen to me in this diary.

This is the worst year of my life so far, unless maybe it’s the best.




Review:
Confessions of a High School Disaster is a book I easily got lost in. I became completely curious by Chloe and her journey through freshman year. She's a strong and confident main character even when she thinks she isn't being confident. At times, I saw myself in Chloe's character from her confidence, strong-headed behaviour, adventurousness and her naivety

At first, I was a little worried about picking up a book written in journal entries after just finishing another book written in the same style and not enjoying it but I ended up really enjoying Chloe's story and the relationships she builds and the lessons she's learned.

One of my favourite parts to read in Confessions of a High School Disaster was about Chloe and Mac's friendship. It's an up and down rollercoaster and it depicts a perfect scenario of a freshman crush on a senior. I won't lie, while reading scenes with Chloe and Mac, I'd felt giddy and excited for Chloe, I couldn't wait to see how she'd handle situations because even when Chloe's felt insecure she wasn't afraid to get what she wanted. Chloe also does what she wants and doesn't ask or wait for any opinions. 

Chloe is a strong and very relatable main character. She's going through her freshman year of high school with her mother absent, spending more time with her dad and building a relationship with him, losing her best friend, making new friends and figuring out boys and wanting a boyfriend. This book is quirky and I love that Chloe is often searching for answers on the internet, which made her feel real.

Confessions of a High School Disaster is about friendship, family and learning how to deal with change. It's a fun and easy read that I recommend to readers that enjoy YA contemporaries!



Rating:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Reading Challenges

2017 Reading Challenge

Alexa has read 5 books toward her goal of 75 books.
hide

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Alexa has read 2 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Badges

Professional Reader10 Book Reviews