Get it Together, Delilah - Erin Gough | Book Review

3:36 PM


Pages: 336
Format: Hardback
Publication Date: April 4, 2017
Publisher: Chronicle Books
How I got the copy: Raincoast Books
Rating: 2/5

Summary:
A story about falling in love, literally.

Seventeen-year-old Delilah Green wouldn’t have chosen to do her last year of school this way, but she figures it’s working fine. Her dad is on a trip to fix his broken heart after her mom left him for another man, so Del’s managing the family café in his absence. Easy, she thinks. But what about:
- homework and the nasty posse of mean girls making her life hell
- or how one of Del’s best friends won’t stop guilt-tripping her
- and her other best friend is so in love with his tutor he might go to jail for her if Del doesn’t do something

But who cares about any of that really, because above all else, she can’t stop thinking about beautiful Rosa who dances every night across the street until one day Rosa comes in the café door . . .

And if Rosa starts thinking about Del, too, then how in the name of caramel milkshakes will Del get the rest of it together?
 





Review:
First things first, I was very excited to get my hands on this book. To the point, I was anticipating this book for months... until I came to realize that this is a republished book (it was first published in February 2015) and I could have gotten my hands on a copy months ago.

I was excited to read Get it Together, Delilah because I was interested in the environment this book takes place in. It's written by an Australian authors and it's set somewhere in Australia but what I was most excited for was reading a story set in a café environment. However, even though most of the book is "set" in the café, readers don't get the chance of reading about Delilah's work day or about the struggles of managing a café on her own. Instead readers are mostly told through Delilah complaining about her day to another character. So, to say the least, I was overall disappointed with this book.

There are aspects of this book that are also very unrealistic to me. However, I don't know Australian laws so I could be wrong but as an example, I fail to believe any building owner or bank representative would allow a teenage to sign for any paperwork or make any business decisions on behalf of her father.

There is also a love interest that's mildly stalker-esque (being Delilah's having a bit of stalker tendencies) but complicated. Delilah is a lesbian and while Delilah is comfortable with her sexual orientation her love interest is not. Along with relationship issues romantically and platonically, Delilah is being bullied at school and faces homophobia from people she's grown up with. 

Anyways, I went into this book wanting to read about the environment and atmosphere of working at a family owned café and all of the struggles Delilah has to overcome from taking on the responsibly of the café while her father takes a mental break/vacation after her parents divorce. Overall, I didn't enjoy this and I would not recommend.



Rating:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Reading Challenges

2017 Reading Challenge

Alexa has read 5 books toward her goal of 75 books.
hide

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Alexa has read 2 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Badges

Professional Reader10 Book Reviews