I Found You - Lisa Jewell | ARC Review

11:08 AM


Pages: 352
Format: Paperback ARC
Publication Date: April 25, 2017
Publisher: Atria Books
How I got the copy: Simon & Schuster Canada
Rating: 4/5

Summary:

A young bride, a lonely single mother, and an amnesiac man of dubious origin lie at the heart of New York Times bestselling author Lisa Jewell’s next suspenseful drama that will appeal to fans of Liane Moriarty and Paula Hawkins.

In a windswept British seaside town, single mom Alice Lake finds a man sitting on the beach outside her house. He has no name, no jacket, and no idea how he got there. Against her better judgment, she invites him inside.

Meanwhile, in a suburb of London, twenty-one-year-old Lily Monrose has only been married for three weeks. When her new husband fails to come home from work one night she is left stranded in a new country where she knows no one. Then the police tell her that her husband never existed.

Twenty-three years earlier, Gray and Kirsty are teenagers on a summer holiday with their parents. Their annual trip to the quaint seaside town is passing by uneventfully, until an enigmatic young man starts paying extra attention to Kirsty. Something about him makes Gray uncomfortable—and it’s not just that he’s playing the role of protective older brother.

Two decades of secrets, a missing husband, and a man with no memory are at the heart of this brilliant new novel, filled with the “beautiful writing, believable characters, pacey narrative, and dark secrets” (London Daily Mail) that make Lisa Jewell so beloved by audiences on both sides of the Atlantic.
 




Review:
This was an extremely suspenseful ride! 

The entire time I was reading I Found You I was invested but frustrated. I wanted to find out what happened to Carl, Lily's husband, who the man on the beach was and what had happened in 1993.

The book starts with Carl missing and a man found on the beach of a seaside town called Ridinghouse Bay, in front of Alice's house, with no recollection of who his is or where he came from. I Found You is written from three different perspectives, in third person, and two different timelines. Readers read from Gray's perspective in 1993 and Alice's and Lily's present perspectives.

The story is slow, but with every turning page readers slowly discover what truly happened to these characters and how that effects the present day storyline. I indulged in this story. I took my time reading and I would think about how the story would wrap up after every read chapter. I've always been the type of person who thinks of every potential solution to how characters, movies and/or books would end. I enjoy solving puzzles, which is why I probably enjoy Mysteries and one of my favourite genres, and it's why I enjoyed reading I Found You. It kept me guessing and second guessing myself, trying to pinpoint where the plot was going and who the ultimate bad guy would be.

I couldn't wait to get to the end but simultaneously I didn't want the book to come to an end. I Found You is a slow unraveling suspense novel that will keep readers guessing until the end! I definitely recommend this book to readers that enjoy Mystery and Suspense novels but also readers who want to try something new.

*This book is written by a British author and some language reflects that. There are words and phrases that are used throughout the book that American English natives, who aren't accustomed to British English, may find a little confusing. However, once getting through the beginning of the book the same words and phrases are repeated and shouldn't cause any more confusion to those readers. A simple google search is all that is needed to understand the meaning of those British words and phrases. 


Rating:


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Reading Challenges

2017 Reading Challenge

Alexa has read 5 books toward her goal of 75 books.
hide

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Alexa has read 2 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Badges

Professional Reader10 Book Reviews